Happy happy New Year to each and every one of you!!
My six month break from blogging was the start of a six month break from "me" stuff. I stopped blogging, writing, working in the sketchbook, spinning, knitting, scrapbooking, and crocheting. I didn't stop reading books, but every other thing went by the wayside except the very much needed focus on other priorities. We even stopped our Sunday grandson / grandmother trips to the game store for role-playing games.
Sounds like things were pretty quiet, yes? Well, during that time we:
- had our annual family vacation at the beach which was wonderful as always. We took the puppies, and they both loved the ocean. After three days, though, Jack Junior got very very ill. He cried out in pain, was unable to walk, had urinary problems, and slept rolled up in a tiny ball. Mr. Bryant took him home the very next morning to get pain medication from the vet, while I stayed and took pictures and loved the time with the fam.
- said goodbye to Ama as she went off to Portland. Mr. Bryant laid out her driving trip across the country, and we even found a cabin in Yellowstone for one of the nights of the trip. The drive took her to the Arch in St. Louis, Colorado to see friends, Yellowstone, Coeur d'Alene, and the Columbia River Gorge.
- said Goodbye to Shannon and John and family as they went off to new adventures in Virginia.
- put all the puppies on a new diet.
- watched the puppies grow like weeds!
- took Jack Junior to six vets and finally to NC State Veterinary School, where they diagnosed the infection that was crippling and killing him. We got him started on a three to six month course of antibiotics and noticed immediate improvement in his condition.
- continued to take the puppies to Obedience Training.
- flew the cats across the country to greet Ama in Portland.
- learned the incredible blessings of being members of the Leonberger Community.
- had a fabulous family Thanksgiving in the mountains hosted by Mr. and Mrs. McFadden.
- had another wonderful Christmas hosted by Mr. and Mrs. Hanson.
- went to an amazing New Years dinner with our very dear friends.
In addition to all this, I interviewed for a new job or two, adjusted to a restructure at work, and did my best to support Mr. Bryant while HE adjusted to a restructure at work.
During all this time off from "me," I thought I was doing the right things, doing the things that needed to be done, paying primary attention to the other people in my life in the best way. But as I look back at the last half of the year, I can see that I was less centered, less thoughtful, and frankly, less confident.
I am grateful to have learned this lesson, which I think I really knew but allowed myself to conveniently forget. Taking care of "me" is important, and changes how I interact with the world at every level.
I can't say that I am sorry to see 2011 go. Although it wasn't the worst year it also wasn't the best. And sometimes, that's exactly the inspiration needed to go forth and know this New Year better, man! (with a nod here to our friends, the Muppets!)
Here is to the most wonderful year yet. Welcome 2012!